Social Course Home
The Social Course Homepage can be the first thing students see when entering a course. The homepage is the front door through which students enter a course. When students knock, how are they greeted? A goal should be a Course Homepage that opens the course door wide, welcomes students to the online environment, offers an introduction to the course, provides key/redundant information, and tells students something about navigating their online course.
Commonly, a Course Homepage will include:
- Course Title: often in bold, colored, large font or in a flash-type presentation
- Course Description: a brief overview of what the course entails
- Course Welcome: a brief welcome statement from the instructor
- Course Graphic: a relevant graphic that illustrates what the course covers
- Course Objectives: clearly stated objectives to be met by students in the course
- Course Navigation: instructions as to what students should do to get started in the course
You MUST activate this option in your course through Course Admin --> Enable/Disable Tools menu. This feature, by default, is turned off in Pearson LearningStudio. See the below image.
The process for adding material, or editing it, to the Course Homepage, or any page, is straightforward:
- Click on Course Home to access the homepage.
- Click on the Author tab to put yourself in the course authoring view.
- Using the Visual Editor text area, and tools in the toolbar, you can enter text, add graphics, add links to other material, etc.
- Click Save Changes when your are done developing or editing material.
See the below image for an example of what your course could look like.
Integrating with Skype
Skype™ is a free Instant messaging computer program which allows Skype-to-Skype audio and video calls at no cost. In addition there are many other features including Screen Sharing.
This software can be found at http://www.skype.com
Please note: In order for Skype to be implemented into the course shell, all students must have the software installed on their PC or Mac. Once the student has Skype installed on to their computer, please follow these steps on how to use it with the new Social Learning Interface (SLI). If some students do not have Skype, then they will not be able to use this feature.
Log into your eCollege account and access the Course. On the Course Home is where you will see the SLI. Scroll to the bottom and you will be able to select the People tab. This tab will display all the student in the course and will show if they are online or offline.
Select your name and you will open up the student profile. You will only be able to edit your personal profile. Click the Edit Profile link to change your settings.
In the Edit Profile settings, type in your Skype username in the "Instant Message 1" field and select the Skype option on the dropdown menu. Hit Save Changes.
Select the Privacy tab on the top. Make sure both options are checked. This will allow other classmates to contact you and see if you are online. Hit Save Changes.
Once you have completed the steps above you will be able to see the changes. There should be a new Skype Icon in your profile like the image below.
Also when viewing the User Activity, you will be able to see which users are online based on the green bar underneath.
Students who would like to contact one another via Skype will first need to search for the recipient. Once they have selected their profile and confirmed they are online (Green Bar under Avatar), they can simply click the Skype Icon. At this point a notification will pop up asking for permission to launch a application. Select Launch Application.
The program Skype will open up a message box to contact that user and all of skypes features will be available to use.
Below is a video tour.
For more information, please email email@example.com.